Archive for May 31st, 2010|Daily archive page
Twenty steps to better corporate governance
A new international corporate/company secretary organization was launched in March 2010 at the Headquarters of the Word Bank in Paris.
The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA) is an international federation of professional bodies formed to promote good governance and corporate secretary-ship. Member organisations include national representative organisations from Australia, Hong Kong/China, India, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, the United Kingdom, the United States and other jurisdictions representing some 70,000 governance professionals in more than 70 countries.
A research paper was presented at the launch of CSIA: Twenty Steps to Better Corporate Governance. Corporate governance experts from around the world, including the two authors of this blog site – Professor Chris Mallin and Professor Bob Tricker – were asked for their opinions on possible corporate governance implications arising from the recent global financial crisis and the ongoing economic hiatus.
The other contributors to the paper were (in alphabetical order):
- Sir Adrian Cadbury, widely known for his chairmanship of the UK Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance and the seminal corporate governance code of best practice that bears his name,
- Dr John Carver, a corporate governance consultant, originator of the Policy Governance® model and author of Corporate Boards that Create Value, 2002, USA
- Professor Gabriel Donleavy, Professor of Accounting, University of Western Sydney, Australia,
- Professor William Judge, E.V. Williams Chair of Strategic Leadership, Old Dominion University and editor of Corporate Governance – an international review, USA,
- Dr Gregg Li, Head of Governance and Risk Management, Aon Global Risk Consulting, Hong Kong,
- Professor Jay W. Lorsch, Louis Kirstein Professor of Human Relations at the Harvard Business School, USA,
- James McRitchie, CEO, Corporate Governance Network, USA.
- Dr Shann Turnbull, Principal, International Institute for Self-governance, Australia.
To read more about the CSIA go to http://www.csiaorg.com.
The full paperTwenty Steps to Better Corporate Governance can be accessed at http://www.csiaorg.com/pdf/research_paper.pdf
Bob Tricker, 1 June 2010